Organic Gardening Workshop
The Introduction to Sustainable Living Workshop is facilitated by Franz Muhl, a seasoned expert with over three decades of hands-in the-dirt experience. He has dedicated his life to sustainable living and regenerative agriculture.
Franz studied Agroecology at the University of California Santa Cruz, working on organic farms and doing markets all over the San Francisco Bay area. 29 years ago he returned to South Africa, running organic farms and markets in the Western Cape for 20 years.
He has conducted various organic gardening courses, written articles for international magazines, and consulted to Grootbos Private Nature Reserve, amongst others. He now has a small organic garden alongside his self-built clay home, pottery studio and craft brewery in the pristine village of Scarborough, Cape Town.
Franz’s philosophy is to take a holistic approach to land management that aims to restore and enhance ecological health while promoting sustainable and productive systems. He emphasizes principles such as soil health, biodiversity, water conservation, and community resilience.
Workshops feature an introduction to:
- Alternative building practices: The benefits of building with clay and wood.
- Brief introduction to: Cheesemaking, beer brewing, functional ceramics (pottery / stoneware crockery)
- Sustainable Gardening Practices: Explore sustainable gardening techniques like composting, seed saving, water conservation, companion planting, and natural pest balance. Discover how these practices contribute to a healthier ecosystem.
- Soil Enrichment: Understand the importance of soil health and learn how to enrich your soil naturally using compost, organic fertilizers, and beneficial microbes. Discover the secrets of creating a thriving garden foundation.
- Seed Starting and Plant Propagation: The art of seed starting, transplanting, and plant propagation techniques. Learn how to save seeds and ensure the success of your garden year after year.
- Growing Season Planning: Gain insights into planning and organizing your garden throughout the year.
- Community Building: Connect with like-minded individuals and build a network of fellow organic gardeners. Share experiences, ideas, and tips for sustainable living within your community.
Location: The Reserve Edge Clay House, Duiker Road, Scarborough, Cape Town.
- Tea and snacks
- Organic lunch
- Organic gardening guide
- Cozy clay home venue
- Brewery tasting